Tarbell's is a long standing Biltmore cooridor staple with a reputation for fresh excellence. This recipe is one of our favorites.
The Recipe: Tarbell's Scotch Beef with Red Wine Gravy
Beef and Veggies:
1 6-7 pound cross-rib or chuck roast
4 ounces vegetable oil
2 stalks celery
2 medium carrots
1 yellow onion
1 tsp chopped garlic
3 Roma tomatoes
2 cups red wine
1 quart water
Fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme, and oregano
- In heavy-bottomed pan, heat vegetable oil.
- Season beef with salt and pepper and sear on all sides until dark brown.
- Remove to small roasting pan.
- Sauté all vegetables in same heavy pan until light brown, and deglaze with red wine.
- Add to beef.
- Add water and aromatic herbs, cover, and cook at 3500 until fork tender, about 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
Red Wine Gravy:
2 ounces flour
2 ounces melted butter
1 quart beef stock
1 quart veal stock
1/2 bottle dry red wine
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
1/2 a yellow onion.
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In small pan, combine flour and butter to make a roux.
- Add liquids, thyme, garlic, and onion and simmer to reduce by half.
- Strain, discarding solids.
- Season gravy to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve Scotch Beef surrounded with sautéed, seasonal vegetables. Serves 4-6